5 Lessons You’ll Learn From Failure

        Failure doesn’t sound any good to most of us. To some, it’s like being crushed by a ten wheeler truck and burying you alive six feet under. (Pardon me as I am over working myself to come up with a metaphor but just can’t). All I know is that it’s a disappointing feeling. Well, I don’t know about you, but to me, it felt almost like that.
        
         From my experience, failure has always been a companion to me. It’s always there with me and somewhat an annoying sucker multiplying every time I felt I’m at the verge of success. Since I was young, being an entrepreneur/businessman was my long time dream. Reason is mainly because, if I do business than work on a regular job, I would have total control over my time. What I always thought during school days was that I could wake up, and work anytime I want. (Hope I can tell it’s not because I was just lazy). And most of all, I can do whatever I want. Wow, that’s something amazing, isn’t it? Anyway, going back to where I was...to fulfil a long time dream, I finally choose to get out of my comfort zone and into my courage zone I fled. Or so I thought. Then decided to build an online agency from a job I started as a freelancer in oDesk. If anyone believes in beginners luck, probably that’s the word you can come up after a successful deal from a client. Oh, just can’t forget that feeling of not spending hours just to earn money. And as far as I can remember, that was the first time in my life that I felt so free. Overwhelmed with the slight success, without knowing it, I lose the desire to expand the business I started. Just a little fact, if you’re business isn’t growing then you’re in real danger. And before I knew it, the project crumbled. And just a few months ago, there I was financially struggling. But that wasn’t bad after all because from deep thinking, I actually learned a lot from that experience. Hoping you’ll learn from it too, I listed below the lessons I learned from my failures.

Lesson #1 Failure Proves Your Human

         I know it’s a devastating feeling after failure. Many of us think that it’s something we should be ashamed of. Well, here’s something I found out. We feel ashamed after failing because we just care too much about what other people will say after seeing our downfall. And simply for that reason, we then start to look down on ourselves because we were not able to suffice what others expected of us. Like why should we? To me, failing is something we should value. Why? It simply proves that we are human. Heck, it’s good to know I’m neither a Martian nor a green coloured creature. You fail because you’re human and it’s normal.

Lesson #2 Failure is a Wake-up Call
     
         To me, losing such a wonderful project was total breakdown. How could I allow that to happen? How careless have I been? Fortunately for me, I had mentors to remind me that being in a state of failure is not something we should just grieve on. I mean, grieve but move on. Why waste time looking back as if something’s going to change. Instead identify your mistakes and do something about it.

Lesson #3 Failure is a Time for Growth and Expansion

         Here’s one of my favourite quotes: “We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success. We often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery”― Samuel Smiles

         That is something someone shouldn’t dare disagree. I have proven it and many people did. During my struggles, that was the time that I grew more than ever. For the benefit of those who do not know, getting an online job/project is not something someone can acquire by far. As I tried much to land another project, rejection kept on coming at me after every submission of proposal. Realizing that something’s wrong with me, which definitely was, I did research on how to improve my agency profile, including my own. Not only that, I started asking people who are successfully running an agency of their own. In addition, I read and read on articles on how to submit better proposals and how to run and ensure the success of your agency. Moreover, I learned new skills to add value on my capabilities. By now you must have figured it out, you must expand yourself in terms of knowledge, wisdom, skills, etc.

Lesson #4 Just Because You Failed Doesn’t Mean You Can No Longer Succeed

         Let’s admit it, many people do believe or think that they are not bound to succeed because they failed once, twice or more. Sad but true. But here’s what I say, will someone ever succeed without failing? To what I see it, success comes from rectified failure. If you fail, it simply means you need to do something more to succeed. It may not be right now, but it will come later if you persist.

Lesson #5 Be Persistent after Failure

         If you’re on the right path, being a persistent bastard really does pay off. Can you imagine yourself regularly doing something after every rejection? As I mentioned earlier, I kept on getting rejections from clients every after proposal I submitted. Could there be any distressing feeling than that? But since I believe I was taking the right path, I pushed myself over and over again until I finally dig it. And to tell you, success is more felt fulfilling after overcoming a challenge.



         And there it goes people. Hope you’ve had a good read. Just a little request though, if you find this article helpful, feel free to share this via Facebook, Google+, Twitter to every aspiring freelancers out there.


Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

No comments: